Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the most common questions we receive from people.


Please contact Service Canada or walk in to receive assistance in applying for Employment Insurance:

22 Bay Street
Monday – Friday 8:30 AM – 4 PM
1-800-622-6232 or Employment Ontario Hotline (1-800-387-5656)

Please come into our office at 503 Queen Street East to speak with one of our Employment Consultants to determine the programs that you are eligible for in order to receive your licensing and to work towards additional training.

Please come into our office at 503 Queen Street East to speak with one of our Employment Consultants to determine your eligibility for funding opportunities.
The Sault Community Careers Centre offers employment support to those looking for work - particularly those who face barriers in finding stable employment. The Centre advertises employment positions on our job board (yellow for Trades, Red for Administration and Blue for Service Industry). If you would like to review the job positions we are currently advertising, then you can do so by visiting our website or by coming in to the centre and viewing the job board. Each job will have specific instructions on how to apply (i.e. on company website, or in-person), and if you require assistance in applying for a position then please contact one of our front desk support members for assistance.

We would need you to come in to meet with us in person if you were looking for an apprenticeship and work with you to help you find what you are looking for.

If you have any other questions about apprenticeships please contact the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities at: Phone: 705-945-6815 Toll Free: 1-800-236-8817.

We use a walk-in system. Please visit our centre for registration, and you can meet with an Employment Consultant on the same day. Please come into our office at 503 Queen Street East anytime between Monday – Friday 8:30 AM – 4:30 PM to meet with someone to help with your job search and market you to potential employers.


The Sault Community Careers Centre offers employment support to those looking for work. You can meet with an Employment Consultant to find supplemental income, and we can refer you to the following organizations that can help you with starting a business:

The Millworks Centre for Entrepreneurship
8:30 AM – 5 PM
83 Huron Street #2, Sault Ste. Marie

Community Development Corporation
8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
672 Queen Street East, Sault Ste. Marie

SSM Economic Development Corporation
8:30 AM – 4:30 PM
99 Foster Drive Level 1, Sault Ste. Marie


We can only post for Registered businesses. We Cannot treat this as a regular posting that goes out on job board or website. You can post on Kijji or SooToday.


Our New to The Sault team will be more than happy to assist you with notarizing your certificate and helping with your job search. Please come into our office to book an appointment or you can wait for one of them to contact you.

The Sault Career Centre has a New to the Sault (NTTS) program, and if you are interested in volunteering then you may contact Brenda Cooper who is our Volunteer Coordinator by email at, or by calling her mobile. Brenda and her team also coordinate donations for refugee families. Please contact her via email for further information on how you can help!

General Questions

Contact the volunteer coordinator by using the link on this page or by emailing

Meet one-on-one with the volunteer coordinator.

Obtain a Police Records Check if you will be working directly with a family.

Attend a group training and orientation session with other volunteers.

According to the Geneva Convention of Refugees, a refugee is, "a person who owing to a well-founded fear of being persecuted for reasons of race, religion, nationality, membership of a particular social group or political opinion, is outside the country of his [or her] nationality and is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to avail himself [or herself] of the protection of that country; or who, not having a nationality and being outside the country of his [or her] former habitual residence as a result of such events, is unable or, owing to such fear, is unwilling to return to it.”

In June 2014, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) reported that there were over 50 million refugees and asylum seekers worldwide, the highest number in the post-World War II era. Currently, Syrian, Afghan, and Somalian refugees are the highest displaced people, with Syrian refugees surpassing all others as of 2014, due to the ongoing Syrian Civil War which erupted in 2011. Worldwide, refugees are seeking basic provisions: food, clean water, shelter, education, and inherent human rights. They are fleeing extreme poverty, degradation, inhuman treatment, violence, conscription, and war. Many are living in refugee camps, sanctioned by the United Nations. The living situations in these camps are also bleak, and resources are exhausted. Due to the ongoing refugee crisis and the increase in refugees worldwide, countries around the globe have been asked to help. Countries have opened their borders and adapted immigration policies allowing refugees to find shelter and safety, and to resettle their families in a foreign country. These countries are giving refugees a second chance at life.

The Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) of 2002 provides the legislative authority for Canada's immigration program. IRPA contains various provisions that allow the Minister to issue special instructions to immigration officers to enable the Government of Canada to best attain its immigration goals.

Under the Government-Assisted Refugees (GAR) Program, refugees are referred to Canada for resettlement by the United Nations Refugee Agency (UNHCR) or another referral organization. Individuals cannot apply directly. You must register for refugee status with the UNHCR or state authorities to be considered by a referral organization. A GAR’s initial resettlement in Canada is entirely supported by the Government of Canada or the province of Quebec.

This support is delivered by non-governmental agencies called service provider organizations funded by IRCC. GARs receive support for up to one year from the date they arrive in Canada, or until they can support themselves, whichever happens first.

The Sault Community Career Centre has a legal responsibility for the safety and well-being of the refugee families. The members of these families are new to the culture and the country; most do not speak English well or at all. Our policy requires that the Police Records Check be done specifically for volunteer activity with the SCCC. Prefilled applications to the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service are available from the Volunteer Coordinator. Volunteers who live outside the city limits will receive a personalized letter from SCCC that they can pick up and take to the Ontario Provincial Police (O.P.P.).

The Sault Ste. Marie Police Services charges $15 for the check.  There is no reimbursement for this.  Occasionally fingerprints are required; the SCCC will provide a letter of request, and the fingerprinting fee will be waived.  The Ontario Provincial Police (O.P.P.) does not charge for checks.

No. You should not have to incur other expenses. Any additional support you provide will be out of the goodness of your heart. We urge volunteers to encourage independence in their families. Their income is not large, but they must live within those means until they are able to get jobs.
When the family first arrives, they receive a meal allowance for the days they are in the hotel and a one time out of pocket allowance. When they transition into permanent housing, they receive a monthly resettlement allowance for 12 months. Families with children will also receive monthly child tax benefits once SCCC completes all required applications. Families are also eligible for other provincial benefits such as GST and HST.

This depends entirely on what the parents want.  In the beginning, the parents may be hesitant; however, with time, the relationships between volunteers and families will become stronger, and the families may have no issue.

Enhanced life skills

Intercultural and cross-cultural learning from one another (punctuality, Canadian workplace, school culture, etc.)

Community connections and this may entail social networks in the community

Assistance with medical and dental appointments. This involves transportation and also assistance with making appointments and dealing with automated phone services. Most of our families will need to see dentists and doctors fairly soon after arrival.

Encouragement to continue learning English; the more frequently our families practice English conversation, the faster they will learn.

The children who are of school age (particularly from Gr. 5 through to university age) have gaps in their learning resulting from having their education interrupted. For the older ones, this may have happened twice, once in their country of origin and once in the country of refuge. The schools are aware of this and are working to help. Extra encouragement and empathy from volunteers is good.

The families are likely struggling with drastic changes in economic and social status. This may have happened first in their country of refuge. It is happening again for them here. Again, understanding and empathy will help.