Position: Climate Change Coordinator
Job Posting: 017-019-2019
Department: CD & ES
Division: Community Development-FutureSSM
Status: Temporary Full Time
Shifts: 35 hours/week
Closes: March 21, 2019, 4:30pm
Reporting to the FutureSSM Project Manager, the Climate Change Coordinator will focus on the planning and implementation of municipal climate change priorities. The primary responsibility will be the development and implementation of the City of Sault Ste. Marie’s Greenhouse Gases (GHG) emissions reduction strategy.
Primary Duties and Accountabilities include but are not limited to:
- Leading climate change adaptation and GHG reduction initiatives including, conducting a community level GHG emission Inventory.
- Leading the development of climate change and GHG reduction policies and strategies to be included to the City of Sault Ste. Marie’s Official Plan and FutureSSM documents.
- Coordinating information, and act as a liaison, between various orders of government (i.e. Region of initiatives undertaken by the local government to reduce emissions in the community.
- Educating municipal employees on climate change and help develop internal programs for reducing emissions.
- Conducting research to determine municipal best practices and to gather information to guide decision making processes.
- Research, propose, and implement operational and institutional changes required to implement recommendations from the GHG emissions reductions plan and ensure long-term impacts for the municipality (e.g. putting together a climate change steering committee).
- Completes a self-assessment of the municipality’s performance and progress using the Maturity Scale for Municipal GHG Emissions Reductions at the beginning and end of the grant period.
- Prepares and submits a project progress report (after 12 months) and a project completion report (after 24 months).
- Requests disbursements from FCM at periodic intervals (after contract signature, 12 months, and 24 months).
- Other energy and sustainability focused projects and activities as directed
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- University Degree in a related field of study; e.g. environmental science, environmental studies, environmental engineering, or earth science, or College Diploma in a related field of study, with relevant demonstrated experience, will be considered.
- Two years experience in matters related to climate change, GHG emissions reduction, air quality modelling/reporting and sustainable development.
- Understanding of the four pillars of the CAC report: A Common Cause and New Direction for Sault Ste. Marie.
- Ability to read, write and communicate to perform the duties of the position.
- Computer literacy in a Microsoft environment; including Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, etc.
- Demonstrated understanding of climate change issues and sustainable development within the context of municipal government.
- Strong research and analytical skills (e.g. ability to conduct rigorous research, summarize findings, and present recommendations).
- Strong ability to multi-task, with attention to detail.
- Understanding of the program development process and how to implement new initiatives, including planning, costing, team building, implementation strategies, and building in feedback and evaluation techniques.
To apply for this exciting opportunity, please provide a cover letter and resume highlighting your qualifications to:
firstname.lastname@example.org Subject line 017-019-2019 Climate Change Coordinator
The Corporation of the City of Sault Ste. Marie is an inclusive employer. Accommodation is available in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com