Website Ministry of the Solicitor General
*Indicates the salary listed as per the OPSEU Collective Agreement.
The Ministry of the Solicitor General offers a comprehensive and competitive compensation package including:
• A defined benefit package plan
• Maternity and parental leave top-up benefits
• A comprehensive health and dental plan
• Life and disability insurance
• A progressive work environment that promotes work/life balance
• Flexible learning and developmental opportunities including online, training and mentorship programs
• Opportunities for career advancement and specialization through a wide range of career fields
The Ontario Public Service has been chosen as one of:
• Canada’s Top 100 Employers
• Greater Toronto’s Top 90 Employers
• Canada’s Best Diversity Employers
• Canada’s Greenest Employers
• Top Employers for Canadians Under 40
What can I expect to do in this role?
• Formulate discharge plans in full collaboration with professionals and inmates
• Provide crisis intervention services
• Prepare and maintain assessments and statistical reports
• Provide rehabilitative programs and counselling
• Participate in social work research activities and evaluate treatment programs and services
• Provide social work consultation and training to staff
How do I qualify?
• You are currently registered as a Social Worker in good standing with the Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers (OCSWSSW)
Specialized Knowledge and Experience
• You have in-depth knowledge of and experience with theories, principles and practices of social work normally acquired through a Bachelor of Social Work (BSW) or Master of Social Work (MSW)
• You are able to develop rehabilitative program/treatment plans as well as conduct individual/group therapy and crisis intervention
• You have knowledge of risk assessment tools and rehabilitative/treatment placement options in order to recommend appropriate inmate classification placement
• You have knowledge of community support services to assist inmates in formulating reintegration plans
• You are able to acquire knowledge of and comply with relevant legislation (such as the Ministry of Correctional Services Act and Social Work and Social Service Work Act, etc.) as well as operational policies and procedures
Communication and Interpersonal Skills
• You can liaise with clients, correctional staff, and community support services
• You are able to engage, motivate, counsel and advocate on behalf of inmates within the institution or community
• You have advanced written communication skills to prepare case notes, assessments, progress and statistical reports
• You can work effectively within a multi-disciplinary setting, including outside agencies
• You have demonstrated tact, discretion and sensitivity
Analytical, Assessment, and Problem-Solving Skills
• You are able to gather and compile data from multiple sources to identify inmates needs as well as develop/modify rehabilitative, treatment, and case management plans
• You can assess inmates in crisis and apply appropriate therapeutic intervention
• You have organizational skills to manage conflicting priorities, meet deadlines, and maintain adequate records
• You are proficient with computer software and database systems to input and retrieve inmate data, prepare reports, and maintain case documentation and statistics
This is a continuous posting. Screening and selection processes will begin after May 29, 2019. However, this posting may be extended and available until the position has been filled. Please only submit your application ONCE under this Job ID.
- 1 Permanent, 800 Great Northern Rd, Sault Ste Marie, North Region, Vulnerable Sector Check, Credit History Check, Local Police Databases Search, PIP/NICHE/RMS
- In accordance with the Ontario Public Service (OPS), Employment Screening Checks Policy (ESCP), the top candidate(s) may be required to undergo a security screening check. Refer to the above to determine the screening checks that are required for this position.
You will be responsible for obtaining the criminal record check at your own expense and provide it, along with your written consent, to the Transition and Security Office (TSO), Talent Acquisition Branch (TAB), HR Service Delivery Division (HRSDD) to evaluate the results. If applicable, the TSO, with your written consent, will request and obtain any additional employment screening checks that were not obtained directly by you. (Note: If a Vulnerable Sector Screening Check is required, it must also be obtained in person at your local police service).
A record under the Criminal Code and/or other federal offence record(s) does not automatically mean you will be ineligible for the position. The employment screening check(s) will only be reviewed and evaluated by the TSO for the purpose of making a security clearance decision. The details of an individual’s employment screening check(s) will be considered in specific relation to the duties and responsibilities of the position being filled. Employment screening check records will be maintained by the TSO and kept strictly confidential.
How to apply:
- You must apply online.
- Your cover letter and resume combined should not exceed five (5) pages. For tips and tools on how to write a concise cover letter and resume, review the Writing a Cover Letter and Resume: Tips, Tools and Resources.
- Customize your cover letter and resume to the qualifications listed on the job ad. Using concrete examples, you must show how you demonstrated the requirements for this job. We rely on the information you provide to us.
- Read the job description to make sure you understand this job.
- OPS employees are required to quote their WIN EMPLOYEE ID number when applying.
- If you require a disability related accommodation in order to participate in the recruitment process, please Contact Us to provide your contact information. Recruitment Services staff will contact you within 48 hours.
We thank you for your interest. Only those selected for further screening or an interview will be contacted.
Job advertisements for positions that have been designated bilingual will be provided in both English and French on the website. Positions that are not designated bilingual are not translated and are displayed in English only on both the English and French versions of the website.
Les annonces d’emploi pour les postes désignés bilingues sont publiées en anglais et en français sur le site Web. Les annonces pour les postes qui ne sont pas désignés bilingues ne sont pas traduites et elles figurent en anglais seulement, tant dans la version française que dans la version anglaise du site.
Accommodation is available under the Ontario Human Rights Code.
To apply for this job please visit www.gojobs.gov.on.ca.