Location: Sault Ste Marie, Ontario
Job Function: Mechanic
Soo Mill is the leading building materials supplier in the Algoma District with stores in Sault Ste. Marie and Elliot Lake, and a Roof Truss Manufacturing plant also located in Sault Ste. Marie.
We are currently looking for a Fleet Mechanic to join our shipping department at our Sault Ste Marie location. The Mechanic will accurately certify, repair and maintain company equipment, tools and vehicles according to regulations. This is full time position which includes a full benefits package, including pension.
- Certified Mechanic Ticket required. S&T License with MTO.
- 5+ years of experience – preferred
- College or industry courses in heavy equipment repair – preferred
- Experience in working with and repairing cranes and booms, forklifts, commercial vehicles, heavy duty equipment, and trailers – preferred
- Familiarity with parts and components of complex machinery and engines, as well as the tools to fix them
- Experience or knowledge with related products and service. Experience in construction & commercial transportation industry is an asset
- A complete set of mechanics tools up to 1 ¼ inch – required
- A minimum of Class G Drivers License and the ability to provide a clean drivers abstract. D license & Air Brake qualification considered an asset
The qualified candidate will be responsible for but not limited to the following job duties:
- Maintain vehicle’s functional condition by listening to operator complaints, conducting inspections, repairing part failures, repairing mechanical and electrical system malfunctions, replacing parts and components, repairing minor body damage
- Execute preventative maintenance, inspections, repairs, modifications, and upgrades at the highest quality
- Adjust equipment and repair or replace defective parts, components or systems, using hand and power tools
- Verify vehicle serviceability by conducting test drives, adjusting controls and systems
- Maintain vehicle, tool and equipment records by recording service and repairs in accordance with legal and company standards
- Ensure all company vehicles are road-worthy, and all equipment meets transportation, health and safety, and operator’s manual requirements. Complete vehicle, and tool safety inspections
- Contain costs by using warranty, evaluating service and parts options
- Spec. & purchase new equipment, trucks, forklifts, trailers, etc.
- Work with shipping/yard staff regarding training for safe operation of equipment
- Service attachments and working tools as necessary
- Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties including lifting, climbing, etc.
We are looking for individuals who have great organizational & time management skills, who work well independently, who are results driven and self-motivated, and who value a safe working environment.
If you would like to build your career with our company, please forward your cover letter with the position for which you are applying identified in the subject line and resume in confidence by September 24th 2021 to:
Soo Mill & Lumber Company Limited
539 Great Northern Road
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org
All applications are appreciated, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory response from a criminal record search and clean drivers abstract.
Soo Mill can provide disability related accommodations during the recruitment process. Please advise if you require accommodations when contacted for interview.