Location: Dubreuilville, Ontario, Canada
Reference No.: 2020-1582
Position Type: Full Time
Schedule: 8 days on, 6 days off
Reporting to the Environmental Superintendent (or their delegate), the Environmental Technician is a field position based at the Magino Mine site. The majority of time spent in this position will be outdoors regardless of weather conditions. This is a permanent position and the successful candidate will assist in the safe construction, operations of the Magino mine.
As a member of the Magino Leadership team, participate in the overall management of the operations to ensure that production and profitability targets are achieved.
As this is a startup operation, the successful candidate must have a strong focus on employee development.
The Magino Project is a brown-fields site located in northern Ontario, Canada that contains an historical underground gold mine, landfill and tailings management facility (“TMF”). The Corporation has conducted a Feasibility Study during 2017 that examined mining the deposit using conventional open pit mining methods and extraction of gold from the ore using a 10,000 tonnes per day carbon-in-pulp (“CIP”) mineral processing facility. When developed, Magino will produce around 150,000 ounces of gold during the first five years of production. The project has over a 15-year mine production life (including one year of pre-production).
- Fish Capture Work
- In stream monitoring
- Fish habitat compensation projects
- Plant Surveys
- Environmental Effects Monitoring
- Data analysis and report writing
- Surface and groundwater sampling
- Air quality monitoring
- Hydrology surveys
- Regular ATV and snowmobile Operator
- Lifting (Large coolers of water samples, inflatable boats, generators, ice augers etc)
- This is a physical outdoors-based position – Long Hikes over rough terrain and or deep snow
- Able to carry a backpack and or other heavy equipment across this rough terrain
- Work safely and contribute to safe practices by the Magino team and all contractors.
- Conduct environmental monitoring as required by permits and according to Magino’s Management Plans and Standard Operating Procedures
- Conduct inspections and audits of contractor environmental management system (EMS) and environmental activities (e.g., waste management).
- Interact and communicate effectively within a multi-disciplinary team consisting of environmental professionals, engineers, and contractors.
- Technical Diploma in Environmental or Natural Sciences.
- G Class Driver’s License (Required)
- Experience working at a construction or heavy industrial site managing contractors and ensuring environmental controls and reporting requirements are met.
- A minimum of 2 years experience conducting environmental sampling and implementing surface and groundwater quality management programs at a major industrial site.
- Previous experience with environmental monitoring/sampling and data tracking (e.g., some combination of: stream/lake sampling, benthic/sediment sampling, groundwater sampling, fish sampling, stream flow measurement, vegetation identification, erosion/sedimentation monitoring etc.).
- Mining operational experience is preferred but other similar industrial site experience will be considered.
- Previous experience with mentoring less experienced Monitors or Technicians would be considered an asset.
- Valid Level 1 First Aid Certificate (or willingness to undertake training).
- ATV and snowmobile Operator’s Certificate (or willingness to undertake training).
- Pleasure Craft Licence (or willingness to undertake training).
- Good general physical health in order to perform rigorous outdoor activity.
- Willingness to undertake specific training at the request of the employer.
- Good computer skills are desirable (MS Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint), or willingness to take further training.
- Safety conscious, reliable, self-starter and a team player.
- Detail oriented with ability to take clear, concise and defensible field notes.
- May be required to spend extended periods away from home base.
- Must be able to drive a manual-speed, 4×4 vehicle and ATV.
- This is a Full-Time position.
- The role is located at the Magino Mine, which is approximately 88 kilometers northeast of Wawa, Ontario, Canada.
- The ideal candidate for the role will work a rotation of 8 days on and 6 days off, ten-hour days.
- Room and Board is provided
- Magino promotes a drug and alcohol-free workplace and has adopted a zero-tolerance policy with respect to alcohol or unauthorized drugs on site.
If you are looking for an exciting opportunity and to build a career in an innovative and dynamic organization, submit your resume at
Argonaut Gold is an equal opportunity employer, values diversity in its workforce, and encourages applications from qualified candidates. Wherever possible, accommodations are made for qualified applicants with self-declared disabilities. Argonaut Gold thanks all applicants, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The Company reserves the right to administer relevant tests to shortlisted candidates selected for interviews, in an effort to determine their suitability and the preparedness of those candidates to accept and perform in the role for which they have applied.
To apply for this job please visit www.argonautgold.com.