Position: Programming Assistant
Organization: Thinking Rock Community Arts
Location: Thessalon, ON (office) + remote work from home
Start Date: June 7 2021 – July 30 (flexible)
Pay: $15.00 per hour, 32 hours per week
Term: This is an 8-week contract position
*NOTE: This position is supported by the Canada Summer Jobs program. As specified in the program requirements, the successful youth candidate:
– is between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment;
– is a Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment** and;
– has a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of the employment and is legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
**International students are not eligible participants in this program. Youth awaiting a refugee status ruling, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, youth visa or work visa are ineligible.
About Thinking Rock Community Arts:
Thinking Rock Community Arts (TRCA) is a non-profit community arts organization based in Thessalon, Ontario that creates art with, for and about the people living along the North Shore of Lake Huron in Central Algoma. We invite people of all ages, abilities and backgrounds to join us in playing, making and dreaming about this special place we call home – as it was, as it is, and as it might be.
Our artistic team represents professional established and emerging rural artists of First Nations, Métis and Settler descent who share a burning desire to explore how we can together create spaces for dialogue and mutual understanding through multidisciplinary, multi-generational, cross-cultural community-engaged art projects.
We believe that if Central Algomans from Indigenous, Settler and Newcomer communities co-create community art projects and presentations, then we will build relationships across cultures and communities, and opportunities to live, work and play in the arts will increase across the region. Ultimately this will lead to more inclusive, vibrant and resilient communities across Algoma.
About the Programming Assistant Position:
The Programming Assistant (the Assistant) will support Thinking Rock Community Arts’ various current programs including the Story of our Stories Research Project, Social Fabric and others, through program activities held online and, contingent on public health guidelines, in the rural and First Nations communities of Central Algoma. Tasks and responsibilities include: developing and delivering virtual/hands-on art-making activities; hosting art-making and outreach activities at public online/in-person events; evaluation of program activities (including meetings and development/delivery/interpretation of survey tools); and some audience development and outreach activities. This position reports to and will be mentored by Thinking Rock’s Artistic Director, as well as its Operations and Programming Coordinators.
Location: Candidate will work primarily remotely, from home.
Skills, experience and qualifications:
– Self-directed and reliable
– Organized with good attention to detail
– Comfortable working in a flexible, collaborative work environment
– Strong computer/digital skills (word processing, email, Google Drive, Zoom) are an asset
– Strong oral and written communication skills
– Enjoys working with people
– Creative, innovative thinker with good problem-solving skills
– Respect for diverse people and communities
– Committed to principles of anti-racism, inclusion and equity
– Experience and/or training in Arts (Performing, Visual, Management) is an asset
– Community outreach and/or client service experience is an asset
– G-class license with access to reliable vehicle is an asset
– French and/or Anishinaabemowin language skills are an asset
– Applicants must obtain a vulnerable sector check prior to offer of and appointment to this position (we will support the successful candidate through this process)
Tasks and responsibilities:
– Participate in project planning
– Support the preparation, design, delivery and evaluation of programming
– Assist with facilitation, tech support and participant engagement
– Contribute to the development and implementation of the Social Fabric project through creative activities and community connections
– Programming-related data entry, documentation and evaluation
– Other tasks as assigned
How to apply:
Please send a resumé (maximum two pages) and one-page cover letter outlining your skills, experience, and what you feel you would bring to our team and to this role. Applicants without a cover letter will not be considered. Please include phone and email contact details. Email documents in PDF format, with “Programming Assistant” in the subject line, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received by 11:59 pm on Saturday, May 16, 2021
You will receive an email to confirm receipt of your application.
Thinking Rock Community Arts is an equity opportunity employer that encourages Indigenous people, Black people, members of the 2SLGBTQ+ community, racialized folx, newcomers, people of all genders and abilities, and members of other equity-seeking groups to apply. We encourage you to self-identify in your application and to contact us if you require accommodations in the interview/hiring process. We appreciate all applications, but only those shortlisted will be contacted for an interview. Thank you for your interest and understanding!