Our Technical Marketing department is looking for a versatile individual to join our growing team as a Laboratory and Greenhouse Intern. Reporting to the Canadian Product Development Manager of Lallemand Plant Care, you will assist our Product Development team and be responsible for executing, troubleshooting and optimizing laboratory and greenhouse research trials using beneficial fungi, bacteria, yeast and plant stimulating extracts.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual, who is ready to enter the workforce. The successful candidate for this position will be highly motivated, take pride in their laboratory skills, and be ready to learn.
Tasks associated with this position also include, but may not be limited to:
• Performing greenhouse and/or growth chamber plant-microbiome studies
• Developing or modifying experimental protocols as needed, from literature reviews, consultation with other scientists
• Using aseptic laboratory techniques to culture and enumerate fungi, yeast and/or bacteria
• Communicating with required staff and business units as needed to coordinate project activities effectively
• Generating oral and written reports as necessary to summarize laboratory activities and projects
• Having knowledge of and executing basic statistical data analyses
• Maintaining accurate and processional records of laboratory activities
• Providing recommendations and observations to staff and management on results of projects/tasks
• Adhere to the health and safety policy at all times
TECHNICAL SKILLS Required
• Bachelor’s Degree in Microbiology, Plant Pathology, Plant Biology, Plant-Microbe Interactions and/or a related field
• Experience in laboratory and/or growth chamber and/or greenhouse environment and practices
• A demonstrated ability to help in the design experiments and do careful and meticulous experimentation
• Sound analytical skills with the ability to analyze data sets and critically evaluate scientific research results
• Organized and reliable; able to juggle multiple streams of work, use time productively, maximize efficiencies, keep things on track and consistently meet deadlines for processing work, with a strong attention to detail
• Strong written communication skills, including experience in writing comprehensive reports, and proposals
• Proficiency in basic statistical data analyses using software packages
• Demonstrated ability to execute and complete projects
• Strong proficiency in Microsoft programs (Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint)
PERSONAL ABILITIES Required
• Shows an ability to learn quickly while on the job and through formal training
• Self-aware, reflective, and able to learn from mistakes
• Excellent work ethic and honest
• Logical with strong common sense
• Enthusiastic personality
• Sense of initiative
• Not afraid to speak up and make suggestions for areas for improvement
• Great team spirit
• Good interpersonal skills
• Detail oriented
• Driver’s license
Lallemand is a privately held Canadian company founded in the late 19th century, which develops, produces and markets yeast and bacteria and other ingredients related to microorganisms or their markets. The company comprises 11 business units, each focused on specific applications of yeast and bacteria and with operations around the world. The administrative offices of the parent company are located in Montreal, Canada. Today, Lallemand employs more than 4,500 people working in more than 45 countries on 5 continents.
In 2006, Lallemand decided to put its knowledge and technological assets in microbiology and fermentation at the service of the agricultural world. Thus, was born the Lallemand Plant Care business unit, which has since grown steadily through the acquisition of companies specializing in the bioprotection and biofertilization of plants.
Yeasts, bacteria, fungi: microorganisms have always lived in harmony with plants since their origin and are now recognized for their multiple agronomic benefits. As a world specialist in microorganisms, Lallemand Plant Care carefully selects strains for agricultural use, in order to improve the nutrition, health and productivity of plants.
Joining the Lallemand Plant Care team means collaborating with people who work passionately to develop sustainable, efficient, and clean solutions for agriculture professionals, horticulture, green spaces, and the forestry sector. We are regularly looking to recruit new talent across the globe to help support our commercial, logistical, marketing, production, and research and development efforts.
Posting Period: From June 9, 2021 to June 28, 2021
Country or region: Canada
Location: 59 Industrial Park Crescent, Sault Ste Marie, Ontario, P6B 5P3, Canada
Business Unit: Plant Care
Department: Technical Marketing / Product Development
Entry date: As soon as possible
Job Status: Internship – Temporary – Full time, 6 months
Minimal required work experience: 0-1 years
Minimal education level required: University Degree
Work schedule: 5 days a week, 40 hours per week
Other benefits: Free parking
Lallemand is an essential service and can operate during the pandemic with modifications to accommodate social distancing, such as working from home. If a provincial lockdown is in effect, interviews must be held via video conferencing. Otherwise, interviews can be conducted in person or via video conferencing, depending on the situation and the company/candidates comfort level. Lallemand adheres to the provincial and federal Public Health’s recommendations on public safety during this pandemic. Staff are equipped with hand sanitizer and face masks and adhere to social distancing protocols at all times. If able to, face masks must always be worn for in person meetings. If unable to wear a face mask, an alternate meeting method will be arranged.
IS THIS JOB FOR YOU? APPLY NOW! Please submit your resume and cover letter to: Dr. Meghan Rains, Product Development Manager : firstname.lastname@example.org
Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under Lallemand’s Employment Accommodation policy. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.