NEW TO THE SAULT? WE CAN HELP. AS A RECOGNIZED LEADER IN THE SETTLEMENT AND INTEGRATION OF NEWCOMERS AND REFUGEES TO SAULT STE. MARIE, WE CAN PROVIDE THE RESOURCES AND GUIDANCE YOU NEED TO BECOME ENGAGED IN SOCIAL, CIVIC, CULTURAL, AND ECONOMIC LIFE.
Interested in Becoming a Volunteer?
Contact us to learn more about volunteering with our New to the Sault program.
NEWCOMER SETTLEMENT SERVICES
- Solutions-based counselling for newcomers seeking settlement and employment support
- Individual and family needs assessment, goal setting, and referrals
- Support for internationally-trained professionals navigating accreditation and licensure in Ontario
- Information about your rights and entitlements as a new resident of Ontario and Canada
- Assistance in filling out forms and applications
- Help in finding programs and services within the community
- Aid in developing personal and community relationships and resources
- Advice, support and advocacy to deal with the effects of migration, culture shock, and other stresses of adjusting to life in Canada
- English language assessment and training for eligible clients
RESETTLEMENT ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (RAP) FOR REFUGEES
The Resettlement Assistance Program (RAP) provides immediate and essential support to Government-Assisted Refugees (GARs) who are selected overseas on the basis of their need for protection through Canada’s Refugee and Humanitarian Resettlement Program. RAP, which is separate from the Settlement Program, provides a bridge to mainstream settlement and integration services that are available to all newcomers.
LANGUAGE INSTRUCTION FOR NEWCOMERS TO CANADA (LINC)
LINC is a free language training program for eligible adult learners. We help newcomers learn effective English communication skills needed to live and work in Canada. Our certified instructors use everyday tasks and real-world examples. Using the Canadian Language Benchmarks, we teach from levels Literacy to CLB 5.